Monday, May 23, 2011

16 Miles

During the past weekend, Walt and I put in a total of 25 miles with a total of 37 run miles weekly.

On Saturday, I wanted to do an easy run before a long one to put in some more miles for the week, but it turned out not so easy. We ran from my house to Alum Rock Park, without remembering it was a slight slope on the trail for 4.5 miles. But on the way back, we had plenty of recovery time. I wore my old Asics and they felt fairly heavy and the strides were as smooth as the Saucony Grid Type A4.

Yesterday was the long run - the 16 miler at the Coyote Creek Trail in San Jose. Running new route really makes it more fun and short. The weather was in the low 70s and most of the paved trail was shaded. A few hours before the run, I had Hidden Valley fruit & nut and one of the two honey n' oats bars. Then, about 45 minutes before the run, I took a few spoonful of fried rice. I was really surprised that the fried rice didn't give me cramp at all during the run. That was great! I wore the new shoes (Saucony Grid Type A4) and felt so light on the feet. These shoes really force me to run with my forefoot/midfoot. My ankles and lower calves would get sore after the second half of the run. It was a lot less yesterday. I think that part of the muscles are getting stronger. Like usual, we took a water break at the half way point. This time, I took my Gu at mile 10 - 11, finished in 3 or 4 gulps. I really felt the caffeine and energy from the gel up till mile 13. It wore out after that. On the next run, I will bring 2 and more water. I was dieing for water toward the end.



I am glad my ankles and lower calves recovered so quickly. I am not sore today!!! But soaking in the jacuzzi and have a glass of wine tonight would be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment